Facebook is filled with parents lamenting over the school closings in Chicagoland. These include the schools in Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich, Wheeling and Arlington Heights. You know it must be bad when Adlai Stevenson High School closes!
I was feeling nostalgic and remembering the few closings that occurred when my children were in school. We tried to make it a fun day so I thought I’d share a few things to do when the frigid weather keeps you inside.
1. Bake cookies: Yes, the holidays have just ended and you probably just threw away the last, stale cookies. You’ve probably just started your New Year diet. Remember, we’re making memories here and you probably have everything that you need in the house. My favorites are chocolate chip or oatmeal.
2. Cuddle up and watch a movie: Bring the blankets and pillows to the family room and settle in. With Netflix and On Demand you should be able to find something everyone will enjoy. I had to rely on whatever DVDs or, dare I show my age, VHS tapes!
3. Indoor Snowball Toss Game: Here’s a fun one that I found on Pinterest for you! http://we-made-that.com/indoor-snowball-toss-game/. If you don’t have styrofoam cups and pom poms just use regular cups and cotton balls. The kids will only remember the fun.
4. Make a (small!) indoor snowman: Combine 2 cups corn starch and 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegetable oil. Do you have some white or silver glitter? Add about 3 tablespoons to the mix. You can make a little snowman or quit a few snowballs. Let the older kids make the concoction and you’re teaching them math and science!
5. Dance and sing: When they’re bursting with energy after having the relaxing day, blast some music and have a dance party. Hand them a brush and do a little karaoke. I have a great voice when the music is loud!
Parents who still have to go to work have quite a challenge. I realize how lucky I am that my job allowed me to stay home on school closing days. Being a Realtor often means long hours and weekends. It also means that I was able to make memories with my kids on days like this.